New DC Studios bosses Peter Safran and James Gunn announced their latest release schedule on December 15th.
After that, a flurry of reports confirmed that three projects, Black Adam 2, a new Superman film (starring Henry Cavill), and Wonder Woman 3, had been scrapped.
Recently, Gunn released a statement calling the fan reaction to their creative decisions “uproarious and unpleasant” after receiving widespread backlash online.
But the DC boss has stated that they make decisions based on what they think is best for the story and “the DC characters who have been around for nearly 85 years.”
Here are the projects that Gunn and Safran have canceled, either in whole or in part.
1. Black Adam
The development of Black Adam 2 has become DC’s most recent target for cancellation. Dwayne Johnson tweeted the news on the 20th of December.
Black Adam will not be in their first chapter of storytelling, the star of “Jungle Cruise” confirmed after connecting to Gunn on the subject.
But Johnson said DC and Seven Bucks (his production company) have agreed to keep looking for “the most valuable ways Black Adam can be utilized in future DC multiverse chapters.”
On the other hand, Gunn replied to Johnson’s tweet by saying, “can’t wait to collaborate soon.” Johnson was set to play the lead role fifteen years before the premiere of Black Adam because it was a project he was passionate about. Johnson persuaded Warner Bros. and New Line to create a solo film for the character after they planned to introduce him in Shazam! as a villain.
Although he had returned to the DC role only two months earlier in October, Cavill announced his departure on Thursday, December 15th.
He took Instagram to state
After being told by the studio to announce my return back in October, prior to their hire, this news isn’t the easiest, but that’s life. The changing of the guard is something that happens. I respect that.
Gunn also tweeted in response to the news, telling fans that they have a DC slate that includes black adam that is “ready to go.” He said,
In the initial stages, our story will be focusing on an earlier part of Superman’s life, so the character will not be played by Henry Cavill.
Fans were upset by Cavill’s dismissal, with many pointing out that he had previously left the Netflix show The Witcher because he was supposedly asked to return as Superman.
3. Wonder Woman 3
There have been rumors that Gunn and Safran have canceled the third installment of the Wonder Woman franchise.
After director Patty Jenkins reportedly had treatment for Wonder Woman 3 turned down because it did not fit in with the [studio’s] new plans, the media outlet The Hollywood Reporter published the news on December 7. Even Deadline covered the story. Just the day after, Gadot had told fans that she was looking forward to the “next chapter” for the superhero.
Jenkins tweeted a statement claiming that she “never walked away.”
I was open to considering anything asked of me. It was my understanding there was nothing I could do to move anything forward at this time. DC is obviously buried in changes they are having to make, so I understand these decisions are difficult right now.
Gunn weighed in as well, responding to a fan who had claimed
The move to boot Cavill and Gadot, especially after they’d announced their return, doesn’t inspire confidence.
The director left many questions unanswered, saying only:
I’m not sure where you’re getting that we ‘booted’ Gal.
On the eighth of December, he posted a tweet that read:
As for the story yesterday in The Hollywood Reporter, some of it is true, some of it is half-true, some of it is not true, & some of it we haven’t decided yet whether it’s true or not